Hugo Erfurth The Piano Lesson
Medium Silver print
Photo Date 1920s Print Date 1920s
Dimensions 9-5/16 x 11-3/8 in. (237 x 289 mm)
Photo Country Germany
Photographer Country Germany
Contact Alex Novak and Marthe Smith
About This Image
With Erfurth's artist initials in black ink on recto of the print.
While studying painting at the Fine Arts School in Dresden in 1892, Hugo Erfurth became an apprentice photographer. Two years later, he received a silver medal at an amateur photography show, and in 1896 he took over the studio of Dresden's court photographer. His work was largely Pictorialist in style, and he was aligned with the Kunstfotografie (art photography) group in Germany and Austria, the British Linked Ring Society, and the American Photo-Secession.
In 1906 Erfurth began to make industrial photographs and photograms. He co-founded the Gesellschaft Deutscher Lichtbildner (German Photographer's Society) in 1919. Beginning in 1920, he began to photograph members of the German intelligentsia, and his studio became a meeting place for artists and intellectuals. At the end of the decade, he began to teach advertising photography. During the thirties and forties, Erfurth moved his studio again, first to Cologne, where most of his work was destroyed in an air raid during World War II, and in 1946 to the banks of Lake Constance, which borders Switzerland, Germany, and Austria. He died there at age seventy-three.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.